Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Shadow Knitting and an Over Abundance of Partenthesis and Quotation Marks

On Knitty Gritty (the oh-so popular TV show hosted by Vicki Powell that I have yet to actually watch, but I am absolutely addicted to the web site), there is a pattern for an "illusion scarf" (that scarf I was ranting about earlier). I went out and bought yarn, so I am excited to start charting and casting on. I have decided to try charting my course on here. It's slightly more permanent than creating a document on say, Microsoft Excel, because I usually tend to misname those files and loose them shortly after creation. (Hence the lack of papers turned in at school...)
I have considered typing the chart somewhere else and pasting it, but that's just WAAAAY too much work.
I have also gotten some new yarn. I am now in love with Berroco's "Comfort." It comes in great shades, is cheap with great yardage, and is suprisingly soft for being a simple acrylic/nylon blend. I have two skeins in awfully pretty colors and I am excited to be starting this scarf. But first I need to decide what to "shadow."
I could do hearts, stars, or my boyfriend's name. But those all sound so cheesy when place in the colorway I have chosen. I have black as my main color and a stormy-blue color as my contrast. My scarf will be black with a blue "hologram." Needless to say, I'm awfully excited. Now to come up with something bold, beautiful and witty to add into this breakthrough project. How about "Save the Whales," or "R.I.P. Fred Jones"? (An inside reference to a student who was accidentally killed this past weekend from my school. He is another reason why I hate guns. Blue ribbons all around.) I need to meditate on this. This could be the most important decision I make in my knitting life! It needs to be clever and funny, but at the same time sweet and caring.
I've got it! My scarf should say "we all scream for ice cream". No, that's too long. I will think of something. Maybe just "Mastadons". It's simple and to the point. That makes sense, right? How about "Janet?"
Junkie. My scarf will say "junkie" with no capital letters or punctuation. That's perfect. Junkie it is.

No comments: