Saturday, March 28, 2009

Oh the Woes of Designing

I'm attempting to design. It isn't going very well. I love the project that Chris made me, but it just takes too long. I'm gonna ask him if he can add a "fill" type button so I don't have to click on each square in a 42*42 grid in order to see my design. I tried using it this morning, but it just takes forever. And the stitches are sideways. They should be wider than they are tall, and they are reversed in my program. That won't take more than a second to fix. The fill button, on the other hand...That could be a while.
I'm also beginning to realize that I'm not the only person with this idea. Several people on Ravelry have this type of pattern for sale. I don't know if I plan on making them available, but it makes me nervous that maybe I'll give these things out for Christmas and no one will think it's special. I mean, I know they're just dishcloths/face cloths/whatever...But I'd like to know that I designed them myself and made them special for each person.
It's just now occured to me that I haven't even mentioned what I'm trying to design! I want to come up with a chart for each letter of the manual alphabet so I can put them on dishcloths for people. I want to make a letter for everybody at Christmas. I even counted all the names already! I need:
3 Ds
4 Ms
4 Gs
3 As
2 Cs (incidentally, they are both named Chris!)
1 T
1 J
4 Ss
1 B
1 K (and no, that one's not for me...Trust me. I have plenty of "test" Gs for myself.)

This sucks. I hate knitting with cotton. It makes my hands hurt really bad. Maybe I should test knit with something a little less intense. I have a pound of Caron Simply Soft. Maybe I'll use that. It's nice and neutral white, and it's a lot less abrasive than cotton on my hands.
I was doing a bit of research to figure out what kind of cotton I should make these out of. Apparently Hobby Lobby has cotton yarn that's not a complete misery to use. I was thinking about heading out there today to browse around. It's probably going to be my cheapest option. I think they have lots of colors to. That's pretty awesome.
That's basically all I needed to say for right now. I'm just pissed that this isn't going the way I want it to. Once Chris is all dressed, I think we'll head out towards Hobby Lobby to check things out. 
Man, Fazolis sounds really awesome right now...

1 comment:

Hildawg said...

Speaking of Fazoli's, is it just me or did they change their breadsticks? They used to be soooo good and now they taste weird..