Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Adventures in Sweaters

My yarn is finally here! Actually, it was here yesterday and I was so caught up in the dying process, I didn't get a chance to post. I had started, but I was running back and forth from my sink to my stove to my bathroom (where the shower is currently off limits because 500g of yarn hanging from the shower curtain bar) and then to bed to 1. wake Chris up and 2. fall asleep because I am coming down with some type of bug that is making me miserable. I am swollen, puffy, runny, sneezy, coughy, and all-around gross right now and I felt terrible last night for poor Chris who had to sleep next to me.
Back to my yarn adventures. I have all the yarn dyed, but unfortunately, I didn't do a really great job by any means, so I'm going back today and redying it to hopefully achieve a better shade of black. I started thinking that maybe 500g of yarn and a black color probably wasn't the best idea for someone who has never tried this before. But I'm totally cool. It's going to be a beautiful sweater. I just know it. I'm still trying to decide if I want to do the intarsia design yet because my squares looked ok, but the back looked terrible. I'm thinking.
My yarn is almost dry, therefore I can begin knitting soon with the one hank I did manage to dye correctly. I'm so excited. I need desperately to wind this yarn, because I don't feel like knitting a sweater with 1300 yards of yarn that are just laying randomly in a pile.
I should be working right now, but I think I'm going to start a pot of water simmering first and begin work on the first hank I dyed.
Notes for future reference:
1. Buy a larger pot to dye in
2. Buy two jars of dye instead of one, just in case you screw up again.
3. Dye either all at a time in one large enough pot, or one at a time in a smaller pot. Do not dye in separate batches. You're sweater is going to be striped and you are going to look like a retard.
4. Yarn is hot when it's been sitting a half hour in boiling water. Don't touch it until you've either poured all the water out or let it sit and cool for a few minutes.
5. Get a mask. Vinegar smells and tastes terrible when you breathe it in.

No comments: